OT-5 Loading Applications

OT-5 is an application by a private car owner to place private freight cars in service on a railroad. Any Lessee, Lessor or car owner that has a railcar mark that ends in “X”, e.g. JOBX (Tealinc railcar mark) must have written permission from the railroad prior to being able to run the railcar on the railroad. OT-5 is the process in which this permission is granted. If you have a multi-railroad move you should file your OT-5 with the originating carrier. You can find the list of railroad persons to file with in the Official Railway Equipment Register under 17-OT-5 Loading Applications. If you don’t have access to this list or understand how to fill out the OT-5 form give us a call and we’ll help you out.